I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Monday, November 30, 2009

DIY: Candy Buffets

I love, love, love candy buffets. I mean, who doesn't like candy? Except maybe diabetics and people with fake teeth. But other than those exceptions, I choose to believe that everyone likes candy. Especially me. Plus, if you combine candy with a cool display and cute little take-out containers you will have people drooling their way into your reception.

So, clearly, we're having a candy buffet. So far, I've got the take-out boxes covered and I've already explained the process to find those here. As for glass containers to hold/display the candy, word on the street is that yard sales are an excellent source t it's not exactly yard sale season here, so I'll have to wait until summer to buy those.


Most recently though, I've been wondering exactly how much candy I'm going to be needing. Foolishly, I took to the internet to answer this question. Which is where I found this gem:

"buffets work best when you plan by the eye, not the numbers .... take five to 10 types of candy, and buy 15 to 20 pounds each, whether you actually need that much or not ... If you have a large table overflowing with candy, you have presence. The biggest disappointment I hear is that the candy buffet didn't look substantial."

10 types? 15-20 pounds of each? If my math is right, that means 150-200 pounds of candy. And at anywhere from $1 to 6 per pound of candy, I'd end up spending way more than I wanted to. Suddenly, my inexpensive and easy idea for guest favors has turned into a monster of a concept. Um, can you say 'not an option'? Because I can.


Thankfully, my research didn't stop there. I found this article which gives some excellent tips. Encouragement to use affordable containers, candy bought in bulk and not overdoing the candy buying sounds more my style. Plus, a helpful tip for those who want the wow factor on a budget, she recommends using several small containers as opposed to 2 or 3 giant ones.


Now I just need to decide on a color. Or not. While I like the aesthetic effect of candy which is the same color across the board, if the candy ends up being all the same or gross tasting, what's the point of following a color theme? Plus, we never settled upon 1 or 2 colors for our wedding in general. There will be no blue/red, no brown/pale blue, no pink/orange themes happening on June 26th. We're free spirits. And that's what our candy buffet will be too. I love not having to follow rules.

For more great inspiration, check out The Knot's collection of photos. I know, endorsing The Knot, what am I thinking? Just be forewarned, avoid the articles and stick with the photos. Even some of their candy buffets are a little elaborate for me, but they're still a good source of inspiration once they're dialed down slightly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.