I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Monday, April 19, 2010

DIY: stationery struggles

Did I ever mention that I'm the most indecisive person ever? Because if I didn't, well, it's true. I'm pathetically indecisive. Even after making decisions, I'm indecisive. I doubt my choices and end up back at square one faster than you can say 'bob's your uncle'.

Case in point: RSVPs.

Remember how excited I was? How thrilled I was with our stationery choices? Well, I still am. For the most part. Floral design = love. Invitations are the same. But the RSVPs were bugging me.

They were the first of our stationery orders. Technically, they were our Vistaprint trial run. Before I knew how awesome the company was, I needed to try them out. And the cheapest way to do this was with the RVSPs. We'd always wanted postcard RSVPs so we went ahead and put the order through and we were thrilled with the result.

But I'd always had two major problems:
1) I thought the design may have been too overwhelming on such a small space

2) The postcards from Vistaprint have a glossy finish and that makes them a tad difficult to write on. Not horrible, but not great. And the more I thought about it, I didn't want our guests to have to use permanent markers just to fill them out.

So yesterday, I reordered them. Instead of postcards, we went with their note cards, which are the same size but they're available in linen finish to match our invitations.

The downside, they're more expensive. For 50, it works out to about $29. Although it's not ridiculous, it's more money that I wanted to spend to fix the problem. But I'm taking comfort in the fact that I like the design more and that guests will actually be able to fill out their names with the writing utensil of their choice.

After all, not every one is a sharpie fanatic like I am.
I don't know why they aren't, but hey, to each his own.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry you had to pay extra, but I think you made a good call. The design looks fantastic!

Chocolate Lover said...

Love the design! I think a lot of people wouldn't think of the difficulty writing on glossy when they are ordering, including me! Glad it worked out in the end though!
P.S. Come on over and check out my shoe giveaway!

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

Nice, me likee.

A-L, said...

I agree that the new RSVP design seems to work better than the old one. But I am mightily impressed by your and your fiances Photoshop skills. I don't have Photoshop (the closest I have is Publisher, which isn't close at all), but I might see if I can come up with anything. But I have a feeling that I'll be etsying this project. Thanks for the advice!

Anonymous said...

Very Cute!!!!!I'm with you on the sharpie's. I am always taking them from the stock drawer at work because the new ones are so much better.

Is a dull sharpie still a sharpie?

Ms. Bunny said...

I think you made a good decision. Yeah, it's always annoying to put more money into something when you think you are done with it, but it'll work out better overall. And they look really great!

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.