I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Thursday, April 29, 2010

teaching our guests to share

After seeing this post, over on WeddingBee, I decided to steal yet another DIY project.

Photo sharing cards. Pretty much the best idea ever. It makes so much sense considering the fact that nearly every guest will likely bring a digital camera to our wedding.

Originally, we considered the idea of purchasing a universal card reader and setting up a photo download station right at the wedding with a laptop. We thought of having a friend look after the station and help guests get the photos downloaded. Although this may be a more effective method because guests won't have to take the time to do it themselves from home after the wedding, we decided we didn't want to ask any of our friends to sit at a table all afternoon and the security of the equipment also came into play.

Enter photo sharing cards. And with inspiration from the internet in hand, I once again set myself down in front of Photoshop to get the project completed. Thankfully, unlike our invitations, the design was simple and within a couple of hours, I'd put an order in with Vistaprint for 250 business cards with our design. And $7-ish and 2 weeks later, the result was met with smiles.


Instead of sticking with the same artwork that is on the rest of our stationery, we decided to go a different route for the stationery that will be around on the actual wedding day. So we purchased some clip art from an Etsy seller because there was no way I could manage to make those cute little owls myself. Mr. FP has a serious obsession with cute owls, so these ones were perfect and we decided to use them for our programs as well. (More on those, coming soon.)

Total cost for this project works out to about $13: business cards were FREE, plus $5 shipping and the clip art was only $5.95 and since its digital, there was no shipping costs. Sweet.

I really hope guests actually use these puppies because we're looking forward to seeing the photos they've captured on the big day. And we'd like to be able to see them somewhere other than on Facebook, with their crumby resolution. Hopefully, 250 business cards scattered around the reception won't be able to go unnoticed.

14 comments:

Sara said...

This is an AWESOME idea!!! I'm so glad you passed it on! Your cards look so cute and you can't beat the cost! Very cool!!

Heather said...

This is a great idea, and your card looks really cute! We’re doing this, too.

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

I'm also planning to do this on one side of a business card and the guest's name on the other which will serve as a place card, which will be attached to the favor so hopefully they won't forget it.

Lisa said...

what a great idea! I think I may have to make these too

Chocolate Lover said...

I think this is a great idea! They look great!

Hi-Fi Weddings said...

that's a great idea! and the cards look awesome :)

Megan said...

Crazy, fh and I were just trying to figure out how to get everyone to send us pictures without doing disposable cameras. Genius, I tell you!!! <3

Cupcake Wedding said...

Oh no. I want some now. Where will you put them?

julie a whitlock said...

Yeah, I have something similar for your photobooth pics!!

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

@Cupcake: I think we're just going to put a small stack on each table and leave the rest on the guest book/favor table.

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

@Julie: Yay! I'm excited.

Ms. Bunny said...

That sounds like a great idea. I might steal it too. Penguins instead of owls for us. ;)

Kim L. said...

What an amazing idea! Thanks!!

A-L, said...

I love this idea. In fact, I'm probably going to steal it. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.