I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DIY: cake topper = finito

The past few days have been a non-stop whirlwind of DIY-ing. For the millionth time, our dining room table has been serving its other duty as a mess of craft supplies. Moreover, I've suffered more than my fair share of hot glue burns. A lifetime's worth, in fact.

But it's been worth it. Most of the DIY projects that can be completed well in advance of the wedding are nearing completion and that makes me smile. Plus, it's nice to know I'll be able to eat on our table again soon.

And even better, now that I have stuff done, I get to share it!
So to get the ball rolling, here's the breakdown for the DIY caketopper.

If you remember what I'm talking about, proceed. If not, go here.

Like I mentioned before, Mario and Peach were in some serious need of an addition to their space so we set out to Michaels last week to make it happen. Honestly, I had no idea what they had in the way of a wooden base, but I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in their wood crafts area. We knew we wanted something in a round shape, but they had everything from oval to square to heart shaped.

I don't have a before and after photo, but the base on the finished product is basically what I bought, although I decided to sand it a little and paint it white.

Other than the base, all the other supplies were things I had. Pipe cleaners make up the arch, we covered it with ribbon to add some color and glued it to the base. Add some ribbon to the base, some sequin ribbon above that and some dollar store flower decorations and voila, a perfect home for Mario and Peach:




As for the cost, well, it was minimal:
  • Mario and Peach figurines from eBay: $8
  • wooden base: $3
  • ribbon, flowers, pipe cleaner and paint: free, because I already had them.

And even with my poor math skills, I know $11 is a ridiculously cheap price for a cake topper.

Plus, that $11 also caused the happiest look to appear on Mr. FP's face which makes all of the hot glue burns almost worth it...... almost.

11 comments:

Kristy said...

oh my god - this is a ridiculously cute topper! good work!!!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

its so cute!

Lisa said...

amazing topper! also, dining table? what dining table? ours has been covered for months too :)

JazzWhispers said...

Oh my freaking gosh, I love that! Awesome DIY skills! LOVES it!

Maggie said...

Adorable!! I looked at the photos first and assumed you bought them with the base!

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

Awesome cake topper and after the wedding you can find a little nook in your house for it.

Julie said...

woah, i love it!

Miss C said...

Loooove!

Shannon said...

haha I can't get over how cute that is!!

Ms. Bunny said...

OMG! Your topper is awesome. I'm a little intimidated by how good that turned out.

legomymeggo said...

wow can i buy this from you after your wedding?? we would LOVE this!

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.