But it's been worth it. Most of the DIY projects that can be completed well in advance of the wedding are nearing completion and that makes me smile. Plus, it's nice to know I'll be able to eat on our table again soon.
And even better, now that I have stuff done, I get to share it!
So to get the ball rolling, here's the breakdown for the DIY caketopper.
If you remember what I'm talking about, proceed. If not, go here.
Like I mentioned before, Mario and Peach were in some serious need of an addition to their space so we set out to Michaels last week to make it happen. Honestly, I had no idea what they had in the way of a wooden base, but I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in their wood crafts area. We knew we wanted something in a round shape, but they had everything from oval to square to heart shaped.
I don't have a before and after photo, but the base on the finished product is basically what I bought, although I decided to sand it a little and paint it white.
Other than the base, all the other supplies were things I had. Pipe cleaners make up the arch, we covered it with ribbon to add some color and glued it to the base. Add some ribbon to the base, some sequin ribbon above that and some dollar store flower decorations and voila, a perfect home for Mario and Peach:
As for the cost, well, it was minimal:
- Mario and Peach figurines from eBay: $8
- wooden base: $3
- ribbon, flowers, pipe cleaner and paint: free, because I already had them.
And even with my poor math skills, I know $11 is a ridiculously cheap price for a cake topper.
Plus, that $11 also caused the happiest look to appear on Mr. FP's face which makes all of the hot glue burns almost worth it...... almost.